Order Microorganism Profile Paper
Microorganism Profile: Adenoviruses – MICROOGANISMS FOR THIS PROJECT
Introduction This project requires the ability to understand and apply scientific knowledge that you acquire both inside and outside the microbiology classroom. You will construct a comprehensive profile of a microorganism that you are assigned by the instructor. This microorganism is a pathogen that you may encounter in your nursing career. All written answers are expected to meet accepted standards for grammar, syntax, and punctuation and follow APA format. Proper microbiology terminology is also expected. The completed APA paper is to be submitted electronically via the Assignment Drop Box in Canvas. Total APA paper should be between 5 to 7 pages including a title and reference page.
The Big Picture As you progress through this course, you will acquire information in a sequential, topic-specific manner. Each topic will include information that is relevant to this assignment. For example, the knowledge you gain from the lesson on bacterial cell morphology will be applied to the first paragraph topic, Cell Morphology and Growth Requirements. Your answers are expected to include information from sources that go beyond the textbook or classroom. Examples include peer-reviewed journal articles, interviews with clinicians who deal with microbes on a daily basis, personal experiences, and other reputable sources. You are expected to clearly understand the meaning of each topic before you construct your answer. For example, you are expected to know the meaning of “epidemiology” and to understand the topics that are connected to it. Don’t forget to read and understand the rubric before you start. Refer to it often – it will help guide you through the process.
Name of Microorganism: Adenoviruses
1. Description of the Microorganism (week 1) Write a paragraph describing your organism. Please be sure to include the type of organism (bacterial, viral, fungal, protozoa, helminth, etc), morphology (shape, arrangement, colony morphology if applicable), description of structure (gram result, type of nucleic acid or virion structure, spore type, etc if applicable) and also the type of microscope and/or stain you would use to view the organism. Please use proper scientific terminology and good grammar and sentence structure throughout this project.
2. Virulence Factors Include a paragraph on the virulence factors the pathogen has and how they affect the host. Please enhance this with detailed explanations of the virulence factors and how they affect the host as you gain a better understanding of them throughout the semester.
3. Immunity Which innate and/or adaptive defenses protect us from infection by this bacterium? Does this pathogen induce a specific type of immune response (example: delayed-type hypersensitivity)? If so, which one(s)?
4. Pathology (Infectious Disease Information)
What condition(s) or infectious disease(s) does it cause? Which tissues or organs are affected, and how are they affected (for example, chronic TB is characterized by lung tubercles)? Describe the complications that can result if the infection is left untreated. Are these acute, chronic, or latent infections? What organ system(s) does it infect? Is it an opportunistic pathogen? If so, where is it normally found in the body?
5. Epidemiology Draw and label a diagram on how this organism is transmitted. Make sure you include the reservoirs of infection, any vectors if involved in transmission, the type of transmission, and portals of entry and exit.
6. Prevention Is there a childhood vaccine against this microbe? Name of vaccine If so, when is it administered (the recommended schedule, including boosters if recommended)? If the vaccine is not recommended during childhood, which at-risk group should get the vaccine, and when? Describe the type of vaccine and how it works : If there is no vaccine available, list at least three measures the can be implemented to prevent people from acquiring this infection.
7. Treatment Chemotherapeutic agents: antibiotic or antiviral etc. used to treat. Mechanism of action for these chemotherapeutic agents. Why is this agent efficacious against this particular organism ? Additional therapeutic agents or practices.
If there is no treatment specific for your organism what measures are take?
8. Clinical relevance Are there any MDR (multi-drug resistant) strains of this microorganism? If so, name the strain(s) Is this strain a known healthcare-associated pathogen?
Which persons/procedures within a clinical or healthcare-assisted setting are particularly at risk
Which antibiotics are used against the multi-drug resistant strains? Be specific
Include at least 4 APA style references (scientifically appropriate credible resources) that show where you found the information in this microorganism profile.
Outcomes Rubric – Microorganism Profile
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeStructure of Assigned Microbe
threshold: 10.0 pts
The student has thoroughly described the structure of the assigned microbe in detail, including the microbiological tools that would be necessary to observe the organism and virulence factors.
The student has partially described the structure of the assigned microbe in detail, and/or microbiological tools that would be necessary to observe the organism or virulence factors are missing.
The student has insufficiently described the structure of the assigned microbe in detail and the microbiological tools that would be necessary to observe the organism and virulence factors are missing.
This criterion is linked to a Learning OutcomeInfectious Disease Information
threshold: 10.0 pts
The student has thoroughly described the infectious disease caused by the assigned microbe including conditions, duration of infection, complications and predisposing factors.
The student has partially described the infectious disease caused by the assigned microbe.
The student has insufficiently described the infectious disease caused by the assigned microbe.
Order Microorganism Profile Paper